Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mac N Cheese


I recently came across this recipe which I wanted to try because it doesn't use any "fake" processed ingredients. I have always avoided making a mac n cheese, thinking it was not worth the time. I gave it a try and it was not as much effort as I though, plus it might be my favorite! This recipe makes a full 9x13 dish, but I seperated it into 2 8x8's and froze the second one.

4-5 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1/4 c + 2 TBSP vegan margarine
1/4 c + 2 TBSP unbleached all-purpose flour
3 1/2 c boiling water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of tumeric
2-4 TBSP canola oil
1 c nutritional yeast flakes
paprika to taste for topping


Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cook pasta.

In a saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Beat the flour in with a whisk, and continue to beat over a medium flame until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.

Whip in the boiling water, salt, soy sauce, garlic powder and tumeric, beating well to dissolve the sauce. Cook until it thickens and bubbles. Whip in the oil and nutritional yeast flakes.

Mix part of the sauce with the cooked noodles and pour into 9x13 dish. Pour remaining sauce on top and smooth out. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 15 mins. Heat broiler and broil until the "cheese" sauce starts to bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment