Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Biscuits and Gravy, yummmmmm....

I have been craving some classic breakfast food, which is obvious with my recent posts.  Nothing is more classic than Biscuits and Gravy.  I never thought I would be able to make this dish vegan and love it, but I have succeeded!!  It is quite easy to put together, and the gravy is super fast to make.  I make the biscuits from scratch which is nice because they come out of the oven hot and fresh.  If you are short on time you could skip this step.

Vegan Sausage Gravy
1 TBSP + 1/4 c canola oil, divided
1 small onion, minced
1 package (8 oz) vegan sausage, diced (I like Gimmie Lean)
1/2 c all-purpose unbleached flour
2 1/2 c soy milk
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika

Heat 1 TBSP canola oil in a large, deep skillet or sauce pan over medium heat.  Saute the onion and a pinch of salt until the onion softens.  Add your sausage and saute until slightly browned.  Transfer to bowl, and return the pan to the heat.

(This is when I put in my biscuits to bake)

Add 1/4 c canola oil and the flour to the pan.  Whisk together to make a thick roux, and cook until it bubbles and smells nutty (about 1 minute).  Slowly add the soy milk while whisking to dissolve the roux.  Stir constantly over medium heat (or lower) to let the gravy thicken.

Once it becomes the thickness that you like, add the sausage back to the pan.  Stir everything together and add the seasonings.  This can be a very thick gravy, if you want to thin it out add milk until you get the consistency you like.

Pour over you hot and fresh biscuits and ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment